IEC 80416-1 pdf download Basic principles for graphical symbols for use on equipment – Part 1: Creation of symbol originals
International Standard 80416 series provides principles and guidelines for the creation of symbol originals and the application of graphical symbols for use on equipment prepared within ISO and IEC.
This Part 1 of the standard specifies the key principles for the creation of symbol originals for use on equipment. In accordance with the intended meaning of the symbol originals, it contains rules for design such as shape and size, and also for preparation of the accompanying texts.
This standard applies to graphical symbols used:
– to identify the equipment or a part of the equipment (for example, a control or display);
– to indicate functional states or functions (for example, on, off, alarm);
– to designate connections (for example, terminals, filling points);
– to provide information on packaging (for example, identification of content, instructions for handling);
– to provide instructions for the operation of the equipment (for example, Iimitations of use).
This standard does not apply to symbol originals for:
– safety signs;
– use on drawings and diagrams;
– use in technical documentation of products and in technical product documentation;
– use for public information.
2 Normative references
The following normative documents contain provisions which, through reference in this text, constitute provisions of this International Standard. For dated references, subsequent amendments to, or revisions of, any of these publications do not apply. However, parties to agreements based on this International Standard are encouraged to investigate the possibility of applying the most recent editions of the normative documents indicated below. For undated references, the latest edition of the normative document referred to applies. Members of IEC and ISO maintain registers of currently valid International Standards.
ISO 80416-2:2001, Basic principles for graphical symbols for use on equipment – Part 2: Form and use of arrows
ISO 7000, Graphical symbols for use on equipment – Index and synopsis
IEC 60417-1, Graphical symbols for use on equipment – Part 1: Overview and application
IEC 60417-2, Graphical symbols for use on equipment – Part 2: Symbol originals
ISO 3864, Safety colours and safety signs
For the purpose of this International Standard, the following definitions apply.
visually perceptible figure with a particular meaning used to transmit information independently of language
graphical symbol element
part of a symbol original with a particular meaning
NOTE 1 Letters, numerals, punctuation marks and mathematical symbols may be used as graphical symbol elements (see ISO 31 and IEC 60027).
drawing of a graphical symbol, prepared in accordance with this standard, used for reference or reproduction purposes