DD IEC PAS 62596 pdf download Electrotechnical products – Determination of restricted substances – Sampling procedure – Guidelines
This PAS provides general sampling guidelines and strategies of sampling for electrotechnical products, electronic assemblies, electronic components. In order to obtain samples that can be used for analytical testing to determine the levels of restricted substances as described in the test methods of IEC 62321 . Restrictions for substances will vary between geographic regions and from time to time. This PAS describes a generic process for the sampling of any substance which could be restricted. This PAS does not provide:
• Full guidance on each and every product that could be classified as electrotechnical equipment. Since there is a huge variety of electrotechnical components, with various structures and processes, along with the continuous innovations in the industry, it is unrealistic to attempt to provide procedures for the disjointment of every type of component.
• Analysis procedures to measure the levels of restricted substances. This is covered by other standards (for example the future IEC 62321 ), which are referred to as the “test standard” in this PAS.
• Guidelines for assessment of compliance.
• Guidance regarding other routes to gather additional information on restricted substances in a product, although the information collected has relevance to the sampling strategies in this PAS.
• Sampling procedures for packaging and packaging materials.
• Safe disassembly and mechanical disjointment instructions related to electrotechnical products (e.g. Hg containing switches) and the recycling industry (e.g. how to handle CRTs or the safe removal of batteries).
2 Normative references The following referenced documents are indispensable for the application of this document. For dated references, only the edition cited applies. For undated references, the latest edition of the referenced document (including any amendments) applies. IEC 62321 , Electrotechnical products – Determination of levels of six restricted substances (lead, mercury, cadmium, hexavalent chromium, polybrominated biphenyls, polybrominated diphenyl ethers)
3 Terms, definitions and abbreviations
3.1 Terms and definitions For the purpose of this document, the following terms and definitions apply. NOTE As this PAS is closely related to IEC 62321 , terms and definitions from that standard have not been duplicated here.
group of components, at least one of which is an electronic device, but in which individual parts may be replaced without damage to the assembly
[Definition H.2.5.9, IEC 60730-1 :1 999]
EXAMPLE Group of components mounted on a printed wiring board.
electrical or electronic devices that are not subject to disassembly without destruction or impairment of design use. They are sometimes called electronic parts, or piece parts
[Definition 3.1 .5, IEC 62239:2008]
EXAMPLE Resistors, capacitors, diodes, integrated circuits, hybrids, application specific integrated circuits, wound components and relays.